The Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy is now accepting nominations for the 2015 U.S. Dairy Sustainability Awards. The awards recognize outstanding dairy farms, businesses and partnerships for socially responsible, economically viable and environmentally sound practices.
Now in its fourth year, the awards program will feature two new categories: Outstanding Achievement in Resource Stewardship and Outstanding Achievement in Community Partnerships.
Nominations are open through Nov. 7, 2014, to all segments of the U.S. dairy value chain — from farm to table — for the following categories:
- The award for Outstanding Achievement in Community Partnerships recognizes collaborations on and off the farm to improve lives and communities through their positive impacts on child health and wellness, hunger relief and/or environmental stewardship. Successful nominations demonstrate how organizations collaborate with other stakeholders to develop practical and effective solutions to shared challenges and goals.
- The award for Outstanding Achievement in Resource Stewardship recognizes dairy operations on and off the farm that have measurable success in managing their resources with optimal efficiency and quality. Successful nominations have implemented efficiencies or innovations in areas such as energy, water and soil conservation; manure and waste management; and/or renewable energy generation.
- The award for Outstanding Dairy Farm Sustainability recognizes three farms each year that serve as examples of socially responsible, economically viable and environmentally sound dairy production. Successful nominees take a holistic approach to sustainability and provide replicable results that can inspire greater industrywide change.
- The award for Outstanding Dairy Processing & Manufacturing Sustainability recognizes dairy processors and manufacturers whose businesses exemplify the triple bottom line of sustainability. Successful nominees have demonstrated both measurable progress and corporate commitment.
The U.S. Dairy Sustainability Awards have honored 19 businesses in the past three years. The 2015 winners will receive:
- A trip to Washington, D.C., in April 2015 for the awards ceremony provided by this year’s sponsors;
- National and local recognition of their stories and passion for sustainability;
- A featured case study on to share insights and lessons learned with industry peers; and
- Opportunities to work with others in the industry, helping to advance sustainability.
The awards are part of the U.S. Dairy Sustainability Commitment, an industrywide effort to understand and communicate about dairy sustainability, demonstrate progress, create long-term economic growth and build consumer trust.
An independent panel of judges will evaluate all nominations based on measurable results and the potential for other dairy farms and businesses to adopt the practices; demonstrated learning, innovation and improvement; and scalability.
The deadline for applications is Nov. 7, 2014. There is no fee to enter. For more information, visit USDairy.com/Sustainability/Awards.