America’s top 10 favorite ice cream flavors:
- Cookies N’ Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Buttered Pecan
- Cookie Dough
- Moose Tracks
America’s favorite novelty products are:
- Mini cups
- Sticks or pops
- Retailers say premium ice cream is most popular with their consumers, while ice cream makers say regular ice cream, usually sold in stores, is most popular with their consumers.
- Pecan is the most popular nut flavoring, and strawberry is the most popular fruit in ice cream.
- Candy and chocolate pieces are the most popular confections in ice cream.
- Waffle cones and sugar cones tie for most popular containers.
Ice Cream Production
- June and July are the busiest months for ice cream production.
- About 1.54 billion gallons of ice cream and related frozen desserts were produced in the U.S. in 2015 (most recent data).
- The ice cream industry in the United States contributes more than $39.0 billion to the national economy and creates more than 188,000 jobs in communities across the country, according to Dairy Delivers℠, IDFA’s economic impact tool.
- The majority of U.S. ice cream and frozen dessert manufacturers have been in business for more than 50 years and many are still family-owned businesses.
- Hard frozen dairy desserts accounted for almost 75 percent of
all frozen dairy products made in 2015.
Ice Cream Marketing
- Families are the primary customer group for ice cream retailers.
- Ice cream marketing is primarily done on a local or regional level.
- Two-fifths of companies see increased demand for premium ice cream.
- Ice cream makers and retailers say the Great Lakes region (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin) is the most successful ice cream market.
- The average American consumes more than 23 pounds of ice cream per year.
- Regular ice cream is the most popular category of frozen desserts.
- U.S. ice cream companies made more than 898 million gallons of regular ice cream in 2015.
- Based on production figures, low-fat ice cream is the second most popular category.