The U.S. Department of Agriculture on Friday announced 7 appointments to the Milk Processor Education Program (MilkPEP) Board. All appointees will serve 3-year terms beginning July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2016. The new appointees will be seated during MilkPEP’s July Board meeting next week in Washington, DC.
The newly appointed members are: Alan J. Bernon, Region 7, Thomas N. Davis III, Region 10, Robert B. McCullough, at-large processor and Brian T. DeFelice, at-large processor.
Newly reappointed members are: James F. Walsh, Region 1, Dwight A. Moore, Jr., Region 4 and Henry F. Michon, Region 13.
USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service monitors the operations of the board, which is comprised of 15 fluid milk processors from 15 geographic regions and five at-large members. At least three at-large members must be fluid milk processors and at least one must be from the general public.
The board oversees the collection of the 20-cent per hundredweight mandatory assessment on fluid milk products processed and marketed commercially in the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia. Processors who process and market 3 million pounds or less per month, excluding those fluid milk products delivered to the residence of a consumer, are exempt from assessments. In addition, the board develops and administers a coordinated program of promotion, research, and consumer information.
The MilkPEP board members as of July 1 are:
- Region 1 - James Walsh, HP Hood LLC, Lynnfield, Mass.
- Region 2 - Chris Ross, HP Hood LLC, Lynnfield, Mass.
- Region 3 - Jay Bryant, Maryland and Virginia Milk Producers Cooperative Association, Inc., Reston, Va.
- Region 4 - Dwight Moore, Harris Teeter, High Point, N.C.
- Region 5 - Mike Smith, Publix Super Markets, Inc., Lakeland, Fla.
- Region 6 - Brad Anderson, Dean Foods Company, Franklin Park, Ill.
- Region 7 - Alan J. Bernon, Dairy Farmers of America, Kansas City, Mo.
- Region 8 - Mike Lasky, Borden Dairy, Winter Haven, Fla.
- Region 9 - Gary Aggus, Hiland Dairy Foods, Springfield, Mo.
- Region 10 - Thomas N. Davis III, Dean Foods Company, Dallas, Tex.
- Region 11 - Steve Turner, Prairie Farms Dairy, Inc., Memphis, Tenn.
- Region 12 - Sandy Kelly, Shamrock Foods Company, Phoenix, Ariz.
- Region 13 - Henry Michon, Safeway Inc., Pleasanton, CA
- Region 14 – Vacant
- Region 15 - Tim Kelbel, The Kroger Co., Cincinnati, Ohio
- At Large - Miriam Erickson Brown, Anderson Erickson Dairy Company, Des Moines, Iowa
- At Large - Scott Shehadey, Producers Dairy Foods, Fresno, Calif.
- At Large - Robert B. McCullough, H.E. Butt Grocery Company, San Antonio, Tex.
- At Large- Brian DeFelice, Dairy Enterprises, Inc., Orville, Ohio
- Public - Mary Hill, Jackson Public Schools, Jackson, Miss.
“MilkPEP welcomes our new board members and looks forward to continuing our relationship with those who were reappointed,” said MilkPEP CEO Vivien Godfrey.