The U.S. Department of Agriculture last week announced seven appointments to fill vacancies on the Milk Processor Education Program (MilkPEP) Board. All appointees will serve three-year terms beginning July 1, 2014 and ending June 30, 2017.
The newly appointed members are Lynne Bohan, Lynnfield, Mass. (Region 2); Jeffrey Stephens, Lakeland, Fla. (Region 5); Shawn Campbell, Seattle, Wash. (Region 13); and Jerry Tidwell, Pleasanton, Calif. (Region 14).
The newly reappointed members are Kevin Herbert, Dallas, Texas (Region 8); Ed Mullins, Carlinville, Ill. (Region 11); and Scott Shehadey, Fresno, Calif. (at-large).
USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service monitors the operations of the board, which is comprised of fluid milk processors from 15 geographic regions and five at-large members. At least three at-large members must be fluid milk processors and at least one must be from the general public.
The board oversees the collection of the 20-cent per hundredweight mandatory assessment on fluid milk products processed and marketed commercially in the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia. Processors who process and market three million pounds or less per month, excluding those fluid milk products delivered to the residence of a consumer, are exempt from assessments. In addition, the board develops and administers a coordinated program of promotion, research, and consumer information.
The MilkPEP board members as of July 1 will be:
- Region 1 - James Walsh, HP Hood LLC, Lynnfield, Mass.
- Region 2 – Lynne Bohan, HP Hood LLC, Lynnfield, Mass.
- Region 3 - Jay Bryant, Maryland and Virginia Milk Producers Cooperative Association, Inc., Reston, Va.
- Region 4 - Dwight Moore, Harris Teeter, High Point, N.C.
- Region 5 – Jeffrey Stephens, Publix Super Markets, Inc., Lakeland, Fla.
- Region 6 - Brad Anderson, Dean Foods Company, Franklin Park, Ill.
- Region 7 - Alan J. Bernon, Dairy Farmers of America, Kansas City, Mo.
- Region 8 – Kevin Herbert, Borden Dairy, Dallas, Texas
- Region 9 - Gary Aggus, Hiland Dairy Foods, Springfield, Mo.
- Region 10 - Thomas Davis III, Dean Foods Company, Dallas, Tex.
- Region 11 – Ed Mullins, Prairie Farms Dairy, Inc., Carlinville, Ill.
- Region 12 - Sandy Kelly, Shamrock Foods Company, Phoenix, Ariz.
- Region 13 – Shawn Campbell, Darigold, Inc., Seattle, Wash.
- Region 14 – Jerry Tidwell, Safeway Inc., Pleasanton, Calif.
- Region 15 - Tim Kelbel, The Kroger Co., Cincinnati, Ohio
- At Large - Miriam Erickson Brown, Anderson Erickson Dairy Company, Des Moines, Iowa
- At Large - Scott Shehadey, Producers Dairy Foods, Fresno, Calif.
- At Large - Robert B. McCullough, H.E. Butt Grocery Company, San Antonio, Tex.
- At Large- Brian DeFelice, Dairy Enterprises, Inc., Orville, Ohio
- Public - Mary Hill, Jackson Public Schools, Jackson, Miss.