IDFA's political involvement program, Dairy Counts, is calling for nominations for the 2009 GrassRoots Action Network for Dairy (GRAND) Pioneer Award. Using a new, streamlined format this year, IDFA will present only one award for exceptional grassroots activity.
In previous years, three member companies had been recognized - one each from the Milk Industry Foundation, the National Cheese Institute and the International Ice Cream Association - for their efforts.
The GRAND Pioneer Award recognizes the industry's best practices for grassroots and political involvement. The deadline for nominations is September 30, and there is no fee to enter.
"It's important to recognize IDFA member companies who have been engaged in grassroots outreach on behalf of the industry, which is a critical part of our legislative success," said IDFA Senior Vice President Jerry Slominski.
Examples of grassroots involvement include:
- Hosting a plant tour for local/state/federal legislators or policymakers;
- Responding to IDFA action alerts on priority dairy policy issues;
- Contacting (phone, email, letter, fax) legislators on a priority dairy policy issue;
- Conducting a face-to-face meeting with state/federal legislators/policymakers to discuss dairy policy issues important to the company;
- Attending the IDFA Washington Conference in June;
- Hosting/attending a political fundraiser or "meet and greet" for congressional representatives; and
- Disseminating IDFA News Update stories, issue papers, action alerts or website information to company executives and employees.
Companies that have accomplished any of the political involvement activities listed above are encouraged to complete a Grassroots Activity Update Form, which serves as the nomination form. Submissions should include activity from October 2008 through September 2009.
The 2009 award will be presented during the fall Boards of Directors meeting during Worldwide Food Expo in October.
For more information on GRAND and the GRAND Pioneer Award, contact Ashley Burch, IDFA assistant director of political programs, at email@example.com or (202) 220-3534.